Life is like a movie which will always be in flux. No matter how long you try to stay in one situation or place, the moment will always transit into another and the saga will keep going on. There is no doubting the fact that time never stops for anyone and in the same context Shakespeare rightfully said, “The swiftest hours as they flew”. “College” is not merely a word or a place or a stage, it is a feeling, a life in itself. For those who have passed out, we hope you have surely made some golden memories. And those who are in their freshman year, we have some tips which will help you make the most cherished memories of a lifetime.
1. Communication is the first ladder: This phrase “Make friends” is more of a command while the actual process of making friends is spontaneous. If you are friends, you are friends; there are no additional efforts to make it happen. While there is a general practice of freshmen to form groups in the class, you can become an exception. Communicate with people out of your peer group. Know about their interests and share your interest as well. Even if you don’t intend to hang out with them. And believe me, groups change very often in college. Just keep in touch with a lot more people because once you leave college, it is only the experiences that will live with you.
2. Explore your options: Exploration and growth go hand in hand. Freshman year is the carte blanche and you are the writer. First-year or you can say, the initial stage of any task we undertake is challenging but at the same time it provides you with a freedom to explore different options. So, try exploring new things and see where your heart sets on. This is one of the best and most efficacious tacts to make memories while instigating better career planning.
3. Travel more, worry less: Chal yaar kahin ghumne ka plan banate hain. (Yo pal, let’s plan a trip). Does this sentence ring a bell? Well, it better should. If your friends don’t say such things, they are not your friends! Since the freshman year is more about fun and play, you should follow the same mantra, too. Initially, the burden is respectively low as it is just a warming session. Consequently, the students should engage in traveling; go for outings with classmates. Also, keep a check on your attendance as you will need to meet the required percentage for appearing in the examinations.
4. Participate in different activities: Music, Dance, Theatre, Photography practice, sports, and a lot of other activities can be taken on. College campus is the most vivid place one can come across. A concoction of endless activities happen within the walls of the building and so it becomes very relevant to give yourself a little boost to enable partaking in various events. At CGC Landran, we have lots of cultural, technical and non-technical activities along with much-awaited annual events such as Parivartan, Hackathon and other festive celebrations, etc. Participating in these events will make you more confident and outgoing and will be more than just collecting photographs; they’ll be your memories. Pictures might fade, but the memories will never.
5. Make volunteerism a trait: Vibrant college life has always something or the other going on. Some get inclined to studies, some sports and some, to helping others. Offering services with little or no expectations gives better satisfaction. Volunteering will help you refurbish your leadership skills as well as your working spirit. The more volunteering you do, the more cooperative you will become.
6. Be more active offline: Yes, you read that right. During college hours, make sure that you are available for your friends physically and not online. Try to minimize the use of gadgets and gizmos. Freshman year is the threshold of a new life where you get everything new. It is highly recommended that you keep your focus on the real things: People, places and life lessons.
7. Try new eating joints: Look around. You would be surprised to know that life is happening everywhere but a little more within the eating joints. The practice of preparing a “things to do before dying” list is quite lionized by the youngsters and so you should be having your hands on it too. You can satisfy your taste buds and take care of the odd time hunger pangs at the campus food outlets and that too with your besties.
8. A healthy life is a happy life: Do everything but draw a line when it comes to hampering your health. Health is not precisely wealth, it is more than that. Your peer group might stop you from indulging in outdoor physical activities but you need to know where to say no and what is good for you. Make good memories by picking up better options. Work out well, go for a jog, brisk walk or yoga whatever makes you relaxed and works out as a stress buster and lightens your mind and body.
9. Smart work is the new hard work: Short cuts are not what we are promoting. We here mean to say that go on with doing your work more diligently and systematically and in the best presentable manner. Be it your assignments or your exams, make sure to know the patterns and work accordingly. Smart Work is the key to a prosperous future.
10. And just in case you forgot, Carpe Diem: College is your second home for a few years now. At times you might feel lonely, homesick, happy or sad, but this is your home away from home now. So cheer up enjoy your studies, play and do all other activities. The college life is your playground; live, love, laugh, and fall but in the end, get up strong and fulfill the dreams you came with to this campus.